Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Government of India mandated the establishment of Krishi Vigyan Kendras as grassroots level Farm Science Centres to provide various types of farm support activities like technology dissemination to farmers, training, awareness to achieve the set of objectives. KVK have made dent and has become part of decentralized planning and implementation instrument to achieve desired level of growth in agriculture and allied sector in the district.
KVK play a vital role in conducting on farm testing to demonstrate location specific agricultural technologies. KVK conducts demonstrations to prove the potential of various crops at farmers’ fields. Also conduct need based training programmes for the benefit of farmers and farm women, rural youths. KVK creates awareness about improved agricultural technologies through extension programmes. Critical and quality inputs like seeds, planting materials, organic products, bio fertilizers and livestock are produced by the KVK and made available to the farmers.MANDATE OF KRISHI VIGYAN KENDRA:
Technology assessment, refinement and demonstration of technology/products through the following activities of KVK.
- On-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Frontline demonstrations to establish its production potentials on the farmers’ fields.
- Training of farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies, and training of extension personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development.
- To work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- In order to create awareness about improved technology, a large number of extension activities will be taken up.
- The seeds and planting materials produced by the KVKs will also be made available to the farmers.