Division of Horticulture
Horticultural science is the only plant science that incorporates both the science and aesthetics of plants. It is the science and art of producing edible fruits, vegetables, flowers, herbs, spices, plantation, medicinal, aromatic and ornamental plants, etc., improving and commercializing them. The science developed by horticulturists is applied to plant production, improvement, marketing and the enhancement of Earth’s human and animal life. Horticulture impacts our lives on a daily basis by providing nutritious fruits and vegetables, offering visual enjoyment, and promoting recreational activities.
1. Need based training programmes viz.,
- Ensure every Farmers, farm women and rural youth acquires adequate knowledge and understanding of commercial Horticulture and Nursery management.
- Good Agricultural practices (GAP) in Vegetables viz., Small Onion, Tapioca, Chillies, Tomato, Brinjal, Coccinia, Big onion, etc., Spices & Condiments viz., Turmeric, Pepper, Clove, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Coriander and Mint, etc., Flower Crops viz., Rose, Jasmine, Tuberose, Neerium, Marigold, Chrysanthemum and Ixora,etc., Plantation Crops, Medicinal and Aromatic Plants.
- Protected cultivation of Vegetables & Flower Crops.
- Propagation and nursery management in Vegetables, Fruits, Ornamental & Flower Crops.
- Integrated farming system for different ecosystem in Theni District.
- Organic Horticulture.
- Roof and terrace gardening in Horticultural crops.
- Ornamental gardening.
2. On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems and Frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
|S.No||Descriptions||Area (ha)||Demo plot|
|Name of the OFT Programme (2019-2020)|
|1||Assessment of new high yielding Bhendi hybrids in Theni district.||0.5||5|
|2||Assessment of Tuberose nematode management.||0.5||5|
|Name of the FLD programme (2019-2020)|
|1||Demonstration on double pruning and single harvest in seedless Grape.||1.0||10|
|2||Demonstration of new variety in Davana-PKM1.||1.0||10|
|3||Demonstration of foliar nutrition of mango special for enhancement of yield in Mango.||1.0||10|
|4||Demonstration on off season production of Moringa in Theni district.||1.0||10|
3. Training programmes of innovative technologies conducted to among the Farmers, farm women and Rural youths
- Crop canopy management and crop regulation technologies in Horticultural crops.
- Different planting systems in Horticultural crops.
- Off season cultivation of Vegetables and Fruit crops.
- Precision farming and Protected cultivation of Vegetables and Fruits.
4. Other Activities
- Production and supply of planting materials of fruits, vegetables, tuber crops, spices and other inputs of horticultural crops mainly micronutrient mixtures for vegetables & fruit crops to the farmers.